AdvertisementSt. Patrick's Day Party Supplies
Home » Pop culture » Pirates o/t Caribbean 2: A Monkey Island rip-off?

Pirates o/t Caribbean 2: A Monkey Island rip-off?


by
Posted on Wednesday, June 28th, 2006 at 8:19 pm CET

The Monkey Island adventure games were some of my favorite games ever. I loved to play the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood in the original Secret of Monkey Island back in 1990. Now Disney comes out with Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man’s Chest this summer, and the designer of Monkey Island, Ron Gilbert, is struck at the resemblance of his Monkey Island’s LeChuck and the bad guy Davy Jones in Dead Man’s Chest.

LeChuck in MI:2I don’t know about it; LeChuck had many different appearances in the Monkey Island series. In MI:III – erm, I mean Monkey Island 3, he had a flaming beard, but he never had squid tentacles hanging from his face. Still, I think that the original Pirates certainly had the atmosphere of the Monkey Island games, and I can’t wait to see POTC 2 this summer and 3 next year.

And for LeChuck vs. Davy Jones? Tell for yourself:

LeChuck of the Monkey Island series

Davy Jones in Pirates of the Carribean 2

Pirate: “I’ve spoken with apes more polite then you.”
Guybrush: “I’m glad to hear you attended your family reunion.”

» More great Monkey Island insults

Comments

Aug 10, 2006
11:15 pm
#1 Lester wrote:

Not only that. WHAT ABOUT THE VOODOO WOMAN!!! her house, the setting is all almost identicle to monkety island 2!!! it was full of rip offs! the parrot on the beach, some of the jungle scenes. Its like they just took half the game and used it for the basis of thier scenes. I would severly doubt if this movie did not intentionally rip off multiple scenes from what is probably my favourite game of all time. Monkey Island II: Le Chucks Revenge.

Aug 10, 2006
11:55 pm
#2 matt wrote:

yea i was saying that i shouted that out *cough monkey lsand

that whole scene was taken im glad im not the only one that knows this

Aug 22, 2006
12:20 am
#3 Grizzlychicken wrote:

Actually, Monkey Island was based on the Pirates of the Carribean ride at DisneyPark in Anaheim. Besides, you can’t copyright ideas like an evil pirate captain or a voodoo lady anyhow.

Sep 7, 2006
8:41 pm
#4 JYHASH wrote:

There were so many similarities between MI 1 & 2 in POTC 1 & 2, I could’ve sworn that I was watching an MI movie.

For example:

-LeChuck & The Undead Pirates Barbosa & The Undead Pirates
-Monkey Island Isla de Muerte
-Bumbling Yet Loveable Guybrush Threepwood Who wants to be a pirate Bumbling Yet Loveable Will Turner Who wants to be a Pirate
-Herman Toothrot, Ex-master Pirate Jack Sparrow, Ex-Master Pirate
-Beautiful Governors Daughter Elaine “How did you get into this mess?” Marley, Kidnapped by LeChuck Beautiful Governors Daughter Elizabeth “Try Wearing a Corset” Swann
-Humorous elements concerning three headed monkeys Humorous elements concerning Undead Monkeys (named Jack)

Soooo many similarities to the game. It’s astounding. And mind you the original ride had nothing to do with undead pirates or captian Barbosa, it was all about pirates ransacking a town, and you seeing the rape and pillaging. I’m pretty sure that the scriptwrites said,”Hey I know this great story about pirates: How about if they were undead???”

Maybe not in so many words, but definetly sketch to a certian degree…

~JYH

Dec 3, 2006
3:26 pm
#5 coolpack wrote:

A big rip-off !!!
Even Pirates of Caribbean 1 is a rip-off !

Dec 22, 2006
7:00 am
#6 TMC wrote:

I think it was pretty good. I mean it was just like watching my favorite game at the cinima

Jan 21, 2007
10:38 pm
#7 nobody knows wrote:

you guys suck pirates of the carribbean is a great movie and who cares if its a rip off it was better anyways so get over it

Jan 21, 2007
10:46 pm
#8 haha youu people suck wrote:

ummm hahaha you people suck, monkey island sucks i mean how old are you people honestly pirates of the carribbean is great and you know it so stop using big words and phrases acting like ur all grown up such as” this is astounding” and realize the beaty of jack sperrow(johnny depp my idol

Feb 3, 2007
12:09 pm
#9 TMC wrote:

umm hey sparrow spelled with an “A” but who cares. i agree and disagree with both of you… i liked monkey island a lot better but thats because i love video games, especially challenging puzzle ones like MI. POTC was an awesome movie(s) and johnny depp is an awesome actor.
MONKEY ISLAND RULES!!!

Feb 3, 2007
12:15 pm
#10 TMC wrote:

oh and by the way it just means that a lot of people liked the game and pretty much a movie around it you guys have gotta settle down. how can you like something and then hate another thing nearly exactly like it.
by the way will turner is a gay little pretty boy who tries too hard to be cool.

With that, im done.

Feb 28, 2007
8:22 am
#11 Alanna wrote:

Ha ha ha, you all are so funny!

Pirates is a great movie and there’s no doubt about it! If it resembles a game who cares! I love Disney and think that the movies were incredible! But to argue about or put down Pirates is just plain silly, since no matter what it is, its really a well put together film, very though out, and they couldn’t have gotten better actors, (even if will turner is pretty girly) ift has comedy, cleverness, romance and fighting! What’s isn’t GREAT about that!

Johnny Depp deserves all the awards for his role! What a great actor, he makes the greatest pirate I have ever seen, and who would think a guy in eyeliner would be so hot, LOL! He can pull anything off! I am a pirate fanatic and so far this is the best to me ;).

Mar 25, 2007
3:56 am
#12 Timmy Buttocksmear wrote:

According to Ron Gilbert, creator of Guybrush, LeChuck and the Monkey Island franchise, his work was originally inspired by the novel ‘On Stranger Tides’, by Tim Powers. The book isn’t a laugh-riot like Gilbert’s games, but it’s weird and creepy and occasionally amusing. Highly recommended if you dig pirates, voodoo and damsels in distress.

I too was struck by the parallels between Pirates of the Caribbean and the Monkey Island games. I was a huge fan of the games in their day, and I love both of Gore Verbinski’s films. If anything, I think the films pay a kind of homage to Gilbert’s work, though legal complications probably prevent them from admitting anything of the sort.

Personally, I don’t think it’s an issue. As long as someone’s churning out great pirate fare, with lashings of swordplay, voodoo and hilarious one-liners, I’m as happy as Stan the Used-Ship salesman after closing a deal.

May 17, 2007
12:48 pm
#13 Pirate Wannabe wrote:

He was also inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at disneyland – hence the dog with the key and more importantly the theme park at the end of MI:II

May 21, 2007
7:25 pm
#14 James Drop wrote:

I agree with TMC …. I loved the atmosphere and soundtrack of the games on my copied .. sorry original Amiga disks that reliving it on the big screen can only be a bonus…

They are the same no doubt… but thank god :O)

In the Uk… 24th may… number 3 is out.. sweet

May 29, 2007
7:22 pm
#15 Heidi wrote:

I did not think this was a rip-off per se. I like to think that maybe the writers were familiar with the game and took some things. Were they familiar with Lucasarts? ILM did the effects but that doesn’t mean a thing necessarily… I didn’t notice the similarities so much in the first one as in the second one, but they were delightful similarities I thought. Tia Dalma’s shack does look like the voodoo lady’s from MI2 almost to a T. The scene where Jack’s hat ends up on the ship of the two sailors skimming for flotsam and jetsam reminds me eerily of the “those are nice boots” scene from MI3. If anyone notices, in the scene where Norrington is digging up the chest on Isla Cruces, Jack is sitting in a meditative position which made me nearly guffaw outloud thinking of herman from MI2. I was also delighted that cannibals were introduced, but let’s be fair and realize that these cannibals did not seem to suffer any qualms about the saturated fat content of their captured pirate god in human form as those in MI did.

The dog with the key? most likely that was taken by lucasarts from the pirates ride if there was any borrowing going on. that ride has been around a lot longer than MI and there is a section of it where a bunch of prisoners are trying to entice a dog holding jail keys with a bone.

But, as for the comment where Will and Guybrush are similar in the first film…Will did not want to be a pirate. He spent most of the movie trying to avoid becoming one all together. Somehow it seems people missed that.

Anyhow, I love both MI and POTC and I wouldn’t want it any other way. If you compare the number of people who have played the games with people who have seen the movies, I’m sure there is a huge discrepancy and no one is going to notice except for us devoted MI fans. I doubt Lucasarts will raise a stink either since ILM did the effects for POTC as stated before and George stands to make cash no matter what.

May 30, 2007
4:14 pm
#16 Greg wrote:

Has anyone stopped to wonder that the movies and the games are similar in some patterns and instances because they both work with the archetypes and – often – stereotypes of pirate life as we know it?
By the way, to comment on the original issue: Davy Jones and the Flying Dutchman was a legend among pirates in the real world. A haunted ship whose captain ferries the souls of the dead to the other side. A ship that appears and disappears on whim, bane of all sailors. Even when creating the crew of Captain Barbossa, the script writers were thinking about this idea. Thus the undead pirates. If the makers of the PotC movies can be blamed for anything, it’s getting ideas from pirate legends and myths from the real world. Such as Davy Jones. And I believe the makers of the beloved MI games did exactly the same. Which is something noone can be blamed for, since we want to see exactly these myths be made manifest on our screen or in the cinema.
This whole squabbling about who stole from who is truly pointless, especially because in my opinion the games and the movies add to the comically presented carribean piracy atmosphere in different, but very admirable ways. Enjoy them for what they are.

Jun 20, 2007
4:14 am
#17 georgatos wrote:

It’s a rip off… anyone who deny that doesn’t know monkey island.

I’m also sure that Disney’s PotC it’s a huge movie. Lucas wouldn’t have done anything like that… so, I’m really happy about disney’s movies.

The 3rd movie it’s a shit… no more Ron Gilbert’s scritpt left to copy from.

Jul 30, 2007
9:43 pm
#18 emu wrote:

you guys monkey island had to of gotten its idea from some were that was the ride in disneyland. Now to you gamers that play all day long GET A LIFE! Get a girl if you can! And stop crying just because pirates of the caribbean made more money than that cheap-skate monkey island kids adventure oh wats his face. The guy with the idea of pirates had the movies all planned out and quote (ALL THREE MOVIES WERE A HIT!!!!!!)

Aug 11, 2007
9:25 pm
#19 Hannah Moonstone wrote:

I don’t think it matters, honestly, I never played Monkey Island, but I’m sure it’s a great game, and Pirates of the Caribbean is a great movie, the end, if you prefer one to the other that’s good for you, but don’t go dissing the other because of a few simmilarities, geeze
I hope I didn’t offend anybody with that o.o
Much love to all,
Hannah(not signing my real name, lol)

Aug 26, 2007
11:23 pm
#20 John wrote:

I don’t see where so many people come off thinking that us Monkey Island fans are complaining about POTC ripping off MI. I think most Monkey Island fans are thrilled to have a movie resemble one of their favorite games in so many ways. And to whoever said it, this has nothing to do with people playing games all day and needing to get a life, being as these games are old school and a memory from our childhoods, and the Monkey Island games were hardly “cheap-skate” (they were very successful in fact) or for kids, the fact that you say this shows you have never played them. The MI games have a lot more objectional content to them than the POTC films. I don’t get why the POTC fans get in such a panic by the fact that the movies barrow a lot of ideas from the Monkey Island games (play the games and you wont be able to deny it). Monkey Island did take a few jokes (such as Walt the dog) from the ride, but not much beyond minor references like that. Anyone who has read “On Stranger Tides” will see how very much the MI games actually took from it.

Anyway, the Disneyland ride, On Stranger Tides, the Monkey Island games, and the POTC films are all undoubtably related and all very enjoyable and worth experiencing for those who haven’t.

Aug 26, 2007
11:29 pm
#21 John wrote:

Also worth noting, Ron Gilbert is a very sarcastic guy and uses a lot of humor in his blog, anyone who takes his quote to mean that he was really sore that Disney ripped off his game needs to read his post again. He was playing around, it is obvious they took inspiration from his game, he was just making a joke of it.

Oct 16, 2007
12:20 am
#22 u guys r idiots wrote:

u guys r idiots…i dont even know y i bother posting on this…get over urself u bunch of self-righteous morons…who gives a CRAP who ripped off who?its not gna change anything…get a frickn life u poor sods…if u deserve it

Dec 1, 2007
11:33 am
#23 U guys are idiots is a twat! wrote:

Stop hating Monkey Island fans!! I think it’s a shame because I would have loved a Monkey Island film and that is now impossible because if they were to make one, it would be a ‘Rip off of POTC’ !!!

Feb 24, 2011
11:06 am
#24 Ron Gilbert wrote:

Oh my god you idiots of course it’s a big rip off and we, as monkey island fans, are pissed off because the disney movie producers had no ideas so they went ahead and stole all the great ideas from monkey island…… zero originality…. no new ideas…. what a plagiarism… and a cheap one too…. idiots for doing that….. they should go to jail for it.

And you young people who don’t know Monkey Island shut the fuck up because you’re morons…. if you like plagiarism go kill yourselves….. the world is a piece of shit because of plagiarism and selfish people and liars…… fake people…. i apreciate original ideas, not cheat copies….

Apr 23, 2012
8:10 am
#25 Sved wrote:

Ted Elliott, one of the writer of the canceled Monkey Island movie (2000) has been one of the original script author of the Pirates of the Carribean franchise. It is a rip-off.

Here a look at one of the lawsuit regarding it: http://www.disneylawsuit.com/

Sep 5, 2013
1:36 am
#26 Lai-Lai wrote:

PotC is literally recycled from a failed ToMI movie script. What makes me sick is that TallTale Games didn’t buy the rights to ToMI before Lucas Arts sold to Disney, so now Disney owns both…& they will likely sit on Monkey Island & let it rot in a vault because they will favor their own IP over the source & their shitcanning of Lucas Arts & it’s now-cancelled/nearly completed Star Wars game tells us how dedicated Disney is to video games. Seriously, this is the most offencive thing Disney has done since they bought Marvel.

Leave a Comment